What is Thrush?
Thrush is a yeast infection which is caused by candida fungi. Thrush mostly occurs in the mouth but can spread to other body areas as well. Diaper rash & vaginal infections are examples of a thrush infection.
Generally, thrush can affect anyone but is mostly common in small babies and people with advanced age. People with a weak or compromised immune system are found to be more prone to develop thrush symptoms.
Home Remedies for Thrush
Use the below mentioned remedies for thrush. These are easy to follow, effective, economical and safe.
A well balanced diet for thrush can also help bring about improvement during a yeast infection.
Here are some of the effective home remedies for thrush:
- Dissolve half a teaspoon of salt in cup of warm water. Rinse your mouth with this thrush remedies solution before spitting it out to relieve symptoms & signs of thrush.
- Take a pinch of salt, some cider vinegar and blend in warm water. This effective home remedy for thrush helps clear fungus growth and reduce thrush symptoms.
- Onions and garlic can help alleviate oral candida infection. Use sufficient garlic to get rid of yeast infection. Sometimes, thrush causes white patches that occur in the mouth, onions can help in such cases.
- Consume yogurt containing live cultures. This will help boost level of healthy flora in the mouth. Eat some yogurt & move it with your tongue to all corners inside of your mouth. For this remedy to take effect, do not drink or eat anything for the next twenty minutes or so.
- You can include fresh vegetables as part of diet for thrush as these are rich in fiber and contain low amount of carbohydrates.
- Use virgin coconut oil for rashes caused in the mouth due to thrush. This oil contains caprylic acid, a compound with strong anti microbial properties.
- Brush your teeth twice daily, floss once. This is among thrush remedies which can help effectively decrease duration of an oral thrush infection. Avoid using mouthwash during oral thrush as this may disturb normal flora in your mouth.
Sometimes, fungal infection including thrush causes infection to spread through clothes of breastfeeding mothers. You can prevent it by making use of nursing pads sans the plastic barrier.