What is Dandelion?
Dandelion (Taraxacum Officinale) is a medicinal herb that has been traditionally used since ancient times to cure a wide range of ailments.
It is known as dudal & kanphul in Hindi, simhadanti in Telugu, pitachumki in Bengali, kaadu shaavanthi in Kannada, bathur in Urdu & dugddhapheni Malayalam.
Parts of the dandelion herb including dandelion seeds, its leaves & roots help render curative effects to your body. Fresh dandelion leaves can be used with salads.
Dandelion side effects such as allergic reactions or a sore mouth may occur in some individuals upon use of its roots.
Dandelion Health Benefits for You
Nearly all the parts of dandelion plant have some curative properties that can be benefitted from when used under proper guidance.
- A natural diuretic, dandelion tea helps your body to get rid of excess water from the system.
- Pectin is a part of dandelion which helps in relieving constipation & healthy reduction of cholesterol levels.
- Dandelion greens are a rich source of minerals such as iron, calcium, manganese, copper, phosphorous & potassium.
- Choline helps prevent & treat build up of fat in the liver. Benefits of dandelion include its rich choline content (a type of B complex vitamin).
- Dandelion has been used since ancient times for treating gout as it helps in lowering uric acid levels.
- Dandelion tea, made by utilizing its roots helps cleanse your blood & urinary system.
- Beneficial dandelion leaves contain vitamins and minerals including iron, calcium, zinc, copper, magnesium & potassium, silicon and boron.
- A cupful of chopped dandelion greens gives you just twenty five calories which is quite low and perfect for those on a calorie diet.
- Your liver metabolizes hormones. If your liver dysfunctions, dandelion extract derived from its root can help create hormonal balance in the body.
- Among the many benefits of dandelion root is the presence of inulin – a food fiber (not insulin) that helps balance and normalize blood sugar levels.
- The dandelion flower contains vitamin A & B-complex. It also has helenine (chemical compound, an antiviral agent) that is used to treat night blindness.
Although the plant is non-toxic, dandelion side effects can occur in the form of loose stools in some cases due to its property to increase bile flow.
Use this information to satisfy your query about what is dandelion & its benefits.