What is Dill Weed?
Dill weed (Anethum graveolens) is a perennial shrub that contains compounds that fight bacterial & fungal infections. It is also an aromatic herb with seeds that are used as spice in food.
Also known as soa in Hindi, sowa in Urdu, ayamodakam in Malayalam, hariz in Gujarati, vidyache pan in Marathi, sada kuppi in Tamil & ain jaradeh in Arabic.
The green stems & leaves of dill plant are known as dill weed and made use of (both fresh & dried) in salads, sauces & stews.
Used as a flavoring agent, dill seeds are added to bread, meat, vegetables & sauces. Growing dill weed greens can be freely used in preparation of fish dishes.
Besides its infection fighting properties, studies show that dill weed is a good source of antioxidant.
Get Health Benefits of Dill
You can benefit from dill plant in many ways. Dill is an effective relaxant. It soothes and relaxes muscles of your nervous system and can be used to get good sleep.
- Benefits of dill can be seen in mild dill infusion that is observed to work as a remedy for conditions such as colic and for digestive problems in small children.
- In breast-feeding mothers, dill weed herb can be aid to increase milk production.
- It has been traditionally used to treat constipation and also in curing colic.
- You can use dill oil to take care of digestive gas trouble. It does not only help remove gas from intestine, it also limits gas formation.
- People with hiccups have been observed smelling dill weed herb to get relief from the condition.
- Oil obtained from dill plant can be applied externally to protect your skin from infections and heal wounds quickly.
- Research has shown that dill weed contains monoterpenes. It stimulates production of an enzyme, source of antioxidant in your body which neutralizes effects of harmful free radicals.
- Dill weed oil possesses calming properties & has soothing effect on nerves of your brain. It can be used to get relief from tension, anxiety & hypertension.
- Among amazing benefits of dill is its extract that can be diluted & applied on your scalp to get rid of lice infection.
Growing dill weed is easy & its maintenance can be done with a minimum of effort. Now, you know about what is dill weed & its benefits.