What is Psyllium Husk?
Psyllium husk also known as isabgol (Hindi language) in India is derived from the covering of the seeds of Plantago herbal plant native to Asia.
Psyllium seed husk have been found to be beneficial for treating a variety of ailments & health conditions.
It is also called ismogul in Gujarati, isabgul in Bengali, snigdhajeera in Marathi, Ishappukolvirai in Tamil & bazre-katima in Arabic.
The mucilage (glue like substance) obtained from the husk of psyllium seeds contains high level of soluble fiber as well as other health benefitting components.
Psyllium husk health benefits include its effectiveness as an intestinal cleanser and as a rich source of dietary fiber. Psyllium husks side effects include bloating & flatulence if taken in excess dosage.
Get Health Benefits of Psyllium Husk
Besides being an economical source of soluble fiber it is used for treating various digestive ailments. Intake of regular Psyllium supplement may help prevent gallstones.
- Isabgol benefits include its use in facilitating weight loss. The fiber in isabgol absorbs water & fills your stomach rendering a feeling of fullness.
- A simple use of isabgol to treat diabetes involves consuming one tablespoon of Psyllium husk mixed with water (one glass) twice daily. It is also important to drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Psyllium seed husk can be consumed to normalize your bowel function for a wide variety of stomach disorders including irritable bowel syndrome, constipation & hemorrhoids.
- Psyllium fiber is said to lower cholesterol levels in a safe & effective way. Among various benefits of Psyllium husk is, you can achieve safe cholesterol levels by taking it as a supplement on a daily basis along with your diet.
- You should drink around seven glass of fluid spread evenly throughout the day while on Psyllium husk remedy. This acts as an intestinal cleanser & helps pass soft stools that decrease irritation in sensitive areas.
- Isabgol can aid in stabilizing blood sugar levels in your body & controls your craving for food. It also helps people on a weight reduction diet program.
- Psyllium or isabgol benefits can be seen in its effectiveness in treatment of diarrhea as it absorbs excess fluids & water from loose stools.
This information can make you more aware and confident in answering the query – What is Psyllium husk?