Potato is a starchy tuber that grows underground and is a widely used food source throughout most parts of the world.
The word potato is derived from its Spanish counterpart ‘patata’.
Know Nutrition Facts about Potatoes
Potatoes contain a wealth of nutritional values that are essential source for your body. The low calories in potato give it an added benefit for people with unhealthy weight (though they should consume it in moderate proportion).
Potato Nutrition Fact: (Nutritive Values for 100 Grams)
- Iron: 0.7 mg
- Fat: 0.1 gm
- Riboflavin: 0.04 mg
- Niacin: 1.2 mg
- Phosphorus: 56 mg
- Protein: 2.0 gm
- Potassium: 500 mg
- Calcium: 11 mg
- Carbohydrates: 19.1 mg
- Vitamin A: 20 i.u
- Vitamin B: 0.11 mg (Thiamine)
- Vitamin C: 17mg
- Calories: 83
Besides the above list for potato nutrition fact, this tubular vegetable is very healthy and easy to digest.
Additionally, the low calories in potato make it fit for consumption (in moderate amount) for those on a diet course.
Health Benefit of Potatoes for You
- For people who have sluggish bowel movements and have difficulty in passing stools, potato is helpful for condition of constipation.
- Potato contains flavonoid & fiber that help lower cholesterol. This results in lowering and normalization of blood pressure which in turn help lower blood pressure.
- A single medium sized baked potato gives you about twenty percent of required amount of vitamin B6. This is said to be beneficial for your heart too.
- Putting on weight can be greatly helped by consuming healthy amounts of potato. An added bonus is that there are lesser amounts of calories in potatoes & it is a very easily digested food.
- You can also apply potato juice or crushed potato to get substantial relief from skin inflammation, burns or boils.
- Health benefit of potatoes can be had through its juice extract which is useful in treatment of blemishes especially on the face. To achieve this, you can apply cold potato juice to the face twice daily.
- A hot poultice made from crushed potato can act as an excellent remedy for muscle & joint pain.
- Potato as a food has alkaline properties and is recommended for treating stomach pains & hyperacidity. Potato is also said to improve blood circulation in the body.