Paschimottanasana (Back Stretching Pose): Step by Step & Benefits
In Sanskrit language “Paschima” stands for west direction while “Uttana” stands for concentrated stretch. Paschimottanasana looks very easy asana to do but actually it is a very tough one to practice. Here we showcase some Paschimottanasana steps for how to do Paschimottanasana for gaining helpful Paschimottanasana benefits. While practicing Paschimottanasana the back part of body gets entirely stretched for this reason this asana is also known as “Back Stretching Pose”.
Following are Paschimottanasana steps which help to get useful benefits of Paschimottanasana.
Step 1: -
First of all sit on floor with legs stretched out in front.
Step 2: -
Now hold thumbs of both legs with the help of hands thumb and index finger.
Step 3: -
Exhale bend in forward direction by keeping both legs straight posture and try to place elbow on sides of legs on floor.
Step 4: -
Continue this posture for few minutes and hold breath as long as possible.
Step 5: -
Now inhale and get back to normal or starting position.
Time Duration of Paschimottanasana
It is suggested that one should practice Paschimottanasana up to 3 minutes as long as one feels comfort and ease in grace.
Advantages of Paschimottanasana
1) Paschimottanasana benefits you for strengthening your spine & back.
2) It is much useful asana for increasing height.
3) It works as most beneficial exercise for the working liver, kidneys, uterus & ovaries.
4) It reduces obesity, removes many ailments and increases appetite.
Precautions for Paschimottanasana
1) Person suffering from back problem, Asthma & Diarrhea should avoid practice of Paschimottanasana.
2) Bend forward if you feel comfortable and easy.
3) If any surgery is done then avoid practicing Paschimottanasana.
Asanas described here should be practiced strictly under the guidance of Yoga teacher or under the supervision of yoga expert only.